State of Michigan
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
****Immediate Vacancies**** Services Specialist 9/10/P11 Wayne Co (Case Manager/ Investigator)
at State of Michigan
- Job Description
This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help......
The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature=youtu.be prior to applying for this position.
- Required Education and Experience
Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
- Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration
- This position is located in Wayne County at the Department of Health and Human Services.
Why Wayne County?
Wayne County is a diverse location that offers:
- A population according to the US Census (2015) of: 1,759,335
- A Median Household Income (2014) of: $41,421
- Professional sporting events hosted by Comerica Park, Ford Field, and Joe Louis Arena
- Hundreds of musical and cultural events every year making Wayne County Michigan's cultural epicenter
- Several major universities such as Wayne State, University of Michigan - Dearborn, and the University of Detroit
- Entertainment venues including the Fox Theatre, Fisher Theatre, Art House, and many others.
- The Greektown and Motor City Casinos
- Year round events including the North American International Auto Show, Belle Isle Grand Prix, Detroit Jazz Festival, Winter Blast!, Summer Jamz, Dalley in the Alley, and America's Thanksgiving Parade.
- Several museums such as The Henry Ford Museum, Detroit Institute of Art, and Motown Museum.
- The Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Detroit Opera House, and Chamber Music Society of Detroit
- Many Cider Mills, farmer's markets, urban farms, and community gardens
- Horse track races, 56 golf courses, breweries, meaderies, wineries, and a vast array of modern dining options
- Many attractions suitable for children such as the Detroit Science Center, the Detroit Zoo, the Cranbrook Science Museum, the Detroit River Walk, Sky Zone Trampoline Park, Pump It Up, and more!
- A multitude of city parks including Belle Isle Park
- For more information on why you should choose Wayne County, please visit: http://www.waynecounty.com/county/visitors/198.htm or http://www.michigan.org/detroitcomeback/
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, To be considered for this position you must:
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":
- If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be?
- How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge?
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s). We accept scanned copies of official transcripts. Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript.
- As a Condition of Employment – this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis.
complete any of the above items may result in your application being screened out.
DUE TO THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY THE DEPARTMENT, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION.
See instructions for attaching files here: Instructions
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. MDHHS Diversity Equity and Inclusion